Sunday, June 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Mr B

It is my darling hubby's 32nd birthday today.

We have now known each other for more than half of his life. A pretty scary exciting and warming thought. I could not imagine life without him. He is patient, kind, strong, creative and a great provider for our family. He loves me unconditionally and puts up with almost all of my sh*te!

So in honour of him today was his birthday festival! Which meant no work for him. I resolved he would only eat what he wanted to eat, see who he wanted to see and do what he wanted to do today.

The festival of Mr B began early when I rose to cook pancakes from Stephanie Alexander's Cook Companion for his breakfast after he declared that was his desire.

His luncheon request was conceptually simple - Lebanese feast with his parents, sister, brother in law and niece. As funds are tight I resolved to cook up a feast here at home. Lebanese cuisine is a family favourite as his mum was born in Lebanon to an Australian mother and Lebanese father.

So yesterday with the assistance of google and some of my cookbooks we settled on a menu fit for a middle eastern king:

Falafel
Eggplant dip
Garlic Prawns
Hommus
Bread
Lemony chicken ribs
Grilled Lamb
Baked Tahini fish
Tabbouleh
Spicy Rice
Pastries
Rosewater custard

We arose yesterday and shopped at the Victoria Market. So much busier on the weekends! But so much more fun shopping with a mate too!

Last night I made the dips, the custard and marinated all of the meat.

This morning after cooking the pancakes I got to work and made the salad and prepared everything else. I sent Mr B and Little B off on a red herring - to Bunnings to get some picture hooks - so I could clean and cook up a storm uninterrupted!

I find the hardest part of cooking any meal is getting the timing right, that is, everything cooked and hot at the same time. Today, with the assistance of my brother in law and the bbq, I was delighted to have everything ready to go simultaneously.

Whilst by definition the birthday is not about me I have to say I am pretty pleased with my efforts.

We feasted like royalty and enjoyed some family time together.

This afternoon Mr B enjoyed a massage and then a hot bath. He and Little B are presently watching tv together.

Time for a dinner of leftovers and dvds in bed.

And the best part - its a long weekend - one more day of Mr B at home! Bliss!

If you are reading this honey - I am pretty sure you are now - Happy Birthday! I hope you have had a great day!

2 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

That feast sounds incredible. I have that timing thing too. It's so hard to get it all to happen in sync. Anyway, it sounds like you pulled off a fabulous birthday festival.

Sauntering Soul said...

Happy birthday to your hubby!

I tried falafel for the first time a couple of months ago. I can't decide if I like it or not. I think I need to try it from another place before I make up my mind. Is it supposed to be really dry?