Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pop goes the weevil!

Yesterday I checked the weather forecast for the weekend and in light of the forecast inclement weather decided to hold off from taking the sewing machine to Barry for a service so that I would have something to play with!

To warm the cockles of Mr B's heart (and his feet of ice!!) I decided to make the Rice Heat Pack featured here at Sew Mama Sew.

I needed to use up some rice we had in the cupboard which today showed signs of having weevils in it. I figured they will not survive a zap in the microwave!

I digress. I am relatively happy with the finished product.



I modified the pattern so that there are only 2 panels of fabric on the outer pouch to keep it simple. I didn't have different fabrics to make something which looks as good as Kirstin's original. Did anyone say trip to spotlight??? I cheated and used stick on velcro for the fastening as that was all I had.

My lines are getting straighter which is good. My pattern cutting is getting better too.

I am not too pleased with the finishing of the outer pouch, the final seams near the velcro end, not pictured, did not come together as well as I would have liked.

The fiddly stuff takes time it would seem and I suppose it would have been better to come back and finish it off tomorrow fresh rather than rush the finish whilst tired as I did tonight.

Lesson learned!

Hopefully I will get the chance to try something different tomorrow.

Enjoy your Sunday!!

1 comment:

CurlyPops said...

Great job! Isn't it exciting to whip something up yourself instead if buying it!